Facing Challenges and Hardships in College

Posted On February 6, 2020
Categories Uncategorized

It is not uncommon for students to experience difficulties, hardships or even emergencies during a semester. These hardships can easily impact a student’s ability to succeed in a course or may cause other undue stress. Students should know they are not alone and there are many resources on campus that can help. There are also other policies that may be helpful when trying to salvage grades for a given semester. Below are some resources and policies to consider if you are having difficulty in any given semester.

  • Voluntary Withdrawal - After the end of the late registration period and up to the semester midpoint (see the Academic Calendar for official dates), students who wish to no longer attend or participate in a course may withdraw from that course using the online registration system in PAWS. There are limits on withdrawals with the grade of W for students pursuing associate and bachelor degrees. Before withdrawing from a course, students should consult with their academic advisor. Further details on voluntary withdrawals can be found in the university catalog.
  • Academic advisors can answer questions about academic standing and eligibility to re-enroll. You may want to speak with your academic Advisor to assist you with enrollment after dealing with an emergency situation. Find your advisor on your campus.
  • If you are experiencing an ongoing issue due to a permanent disability, you may be eligible to receive assistance from the Access and Accommodations Center. AACE strives to provide equal access to students with disabilities and provide individuals with the tools by which they can accomplish their educational and career goals.
  • Visit the Enrollment Services Center if you have questions about financial aid, tuition payments and refunds, voluntary withdrawal, the Repeat-to-Replace Policy or holds, including the immunization hold. Call 404-413-2600 to reach this office.
  • The Counseling Center provides individual counseling sessions, group counseling, couples counseling, and mind-body services free of charge to enrolled Georgia State University students and may be a great resource for students dealing with an emergency situation. The Counseling Center can be reached at 404-413-1640.
  • The Student Health Clinic provides clinical services to currently enrolled students by experienced healthcare providers who provide triage, evaluation and treatment of medical problems, and physical exams. Same day appointments may be available for urgent care needs.
  • Incomplete Grade (I) - If you have completed the majority of your course requirements when an emergency occurs, confer with your instructor about receiving a grade of incomplete. A grade of incomplete will allow you additional time to complete course requirements. More information about the incomplete policy is available in the university catalog.
  • Students may request an Emergency Withdrawal when a non-academic emergency situation occurs that prevents them from completing their coursework and when the timing or nature of the emergency prevents them from voluntarily withdrawing from their classes. A nonacademic situation may include a severe medical problem or other traumatic event. If a student is granted an emergency withdrawal, W grades will automatically be awarded. W grades awarded as a result of the emergency withdrawal process do not count against the student’s voluntary withdrawal limits. If you have questions about Emergency Withdrawal, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students.
  • If you are planning to apply for a partial withdrawal or do not believe the Emergency Withdrawal is appropriate for your situation, consider the Repeat-to-Replace Policy. This policy allows undergraduate students to repeat up to four courses for the purpose of replacing unwanted grades. More information about the Repeat-to-Replace policy is available in the university catalog.

If you have other concerns or challenges outside of the resources mentioned above, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students for relevant referrals. You are not alone in experiencing hardships or dealing with stress and there are plenty of professionals on campus eagerly waiting to assist you.